home what'snew resources ask amy news activism antiviolence events marketplace aboutus
Ask a Question!
Meet Amy!
Amy's Resource Guide
Ask Amy Main
Most Asked Questions
Reproductive Rights
Sexual Harassment
Violence Against Women
Women's History


I have a question about a minor being emancipated. It's extremely important that something is done about the situation soon. Being a minor myself I dont know what to do.

My good friend's mom has punched her, slammed her head against a wall, and cut her with the toilet paper holder that got broke off the wall while they were fighting. We took pictures of the bruises and cuts.

I just want to know who we should call to get the process started. I really feel like she should not be living with her mom. They have been in a fight before, but this is way worse than any of the other times. If you could write back with any information I would appreciate it. I haven't been able to find anything online, so any help you could give would be great.





Dear Becca,

Perhaps Advocates for Youth will have more information for you -- or even children's protection services in the case of your friend. The process of emancipation is usually one of petitioning a judge through the family court systems. You have to make the case that it's not in the child's best interest. It's the same as divorce. There is also a group in TX called Advocates for Children. [Editor's note: a Google search for "Advocates Children" will yield organizations in many states.]

Perhaps there is another guaradian type -- aunt, uncle, friend -- who could help facilitate this process.

Good luck,

— Amy

home | what's new | resources | ask amy | news | activism | anti-violence
events | marketplace | about us | e-mail us | join our mailing list

©1995-2002 Feminist.com All rights reserved.